Copy Cat

Lots of work packing up my classroom, interviews, and some random here and there time spent outside = busy busy.

I took a copy cat quiz about the top spots for me to live.
1. Tulsa OK (we actually have considered Tulsa before)
2. Clarksville TN (I don’t think I could live in TN or KY)
3. Little Rock AK (huh?)
4. Shreveport LA (Hello True Blood)
5. Chatanooga TN (see #2)
6. Jackson MS
7. Greenville SC (I grew up in Greenville OH!)
8. Athens GA (we considered GA at one point too)
9. Johnson City TN
10. Hattiesburg MS

Unfortunately, Cincinnati made the list too and I HATE Cincinnati. Who knows right? For us to leave Ohio, the city would have to have affordable housing and good paying teacher’s jobs. Those are really our requirements. Life shall tell right?

Two very good interviews under my belt this week and last. Hopefully one of them will result in a job offer. If not, I have a good position lined up with my current district that I signed for last night on my way home. This summer will be interesting to see where I end up next year!

Now my half day off is over and I need to get changed and head back to school.

Enjoy the sunshine today!

What to do what to do

I’ve not been blogging much because I have a work conundrum.  My school is closing so I am forced to find another job.  I have several options.

Option A:
The director of special education is moving my unit to a very good elementary school.  My unit is moving intact, meaning all my students are going.  I would have to teach primary special education for one more year and then hopefully, the year after the middle school program would be up and running (the school is transitioning to being a k-8 building) and I would be able to teach the middle school program.   This school is very close to my house.  Not walking distance close, but still close.  It is also a TAP school which means that I would have to do a lot of after school meetings, professional development, etc but I would be paid for it.

Option B:
I interviewed and was offered a position at a 7-12 STEM academy with the district.  This school has a focus on science, math, technology, and engineering.  I would be working with either 7th or 8th grade students.  I would be responsible for two subjects.  I would be doing lots of inclusion.  This school is temporarily close to my house, but would be moving further away in a year and a half.  I would have a full hour long lunch and I would have common planning time with my grade level team.  I don’t believe that there are opportunities for me to earn extra money for duties.

Option C:
I interviewed out of district.  I had a good interview today with an elementary school for a K-1 position.  I got a good vibe from the people I interviewed with.  It’s a decent bit further from the house, like 30 minutes or so.

Pros and Cons:
I don’t really want to teach primary elementary any more.  I don’t know if I feel this way because I don’t really want to teach my particular class anymore (I have had them for 3 years already) or if I don’t want to teach primary at all.  If I don’t want to teach primary at all, then I need to not consider the out of district option.  But I like the idea of out of district and I wonder if I shouldn’t ask them if there are middle and high school positions available.  I don’t know.  Also, a con for option A is that I would have my same class for one year, then two years off and then that same class again for three years.  Not what I had in mind.  Leaving my current school means that I’m leaving behind $4000 in paid duties.  Which going to option A would help supplement about $2000 I think.  But going to option B I would be able to coach which is a $1500 contract.  But there are no paid duties with option B.  Option C has the potential to be a salary breaker plus an insurance breaker.  I won’t know until they decide to offer me a position.  Option B is a rough school and rough home neighborhood.  Option B would be a great resume builder for being a principal someday and I might not have the option of being a principal with option C.

I agreed to sign with Option B, the middle school position.  I think it seems like it’s going to be really nice in terms of planning time, lunch time, and getting out of school at 2:30 every day.  But it’s with an unknown principal and the neighborhood is definitely a lot rougher than option A.  It gives me a chance to get away from elementary and see what I think.  But Noah thinks he might want to go back to school so I feel like financially it’s not a great decision.  Option C is not greatly appealing to me because of the driving distance and the fact that it’s a K/1 position.  Still special ed, but with K/1 students.  I feel like there are fewer opportunities to move around the district of option C than there are with my current district.  I also feel like there are fewer principal opportunities with option C.  But they haven’t offered me a position yet, so I guess I’m worrying preemptively.  I just want to do what’s right for me.  And I have thoughts of leaving my current district, I need to do it now.  If I wait, I won’t be able to take all my years of service with me which would mean a huge pay cut.

Decisions decisions…

The thing elementary teachers fear the most…

Anyone?

Anyone?

Yes, that’s right. Those are head lice. And I am currently hosting some nits. I believe that I may have had them for about 3 weeks.  How could I have them and not know it?  Well I’m allergic to EVERYTHING and I have scalp psoriasis also.  Both of which make you itchy.  I’ve been treating the psoriasis on my own at home and was finally ready to go to the dermatologist when a eensy weensy little bug fell out of my hair this morning.  A little bug fell out of my hair this morning!  And I still didn’t think it was lice.  I thought I had bed bugs.  But the school nurse corrected me.  I have lice.

So here I sit on the couch with a head full of mayonnaise and a shower cap on my head.  I know I know, I could use the over the counter stuff, but apparently that stuff is only effective about 40% of the time.  So I’m trying the home remedies.  The mayonnaise is supposed to suffocate any adult lice (the nurse didn’t find any adults on my head).  Then I’ll wash my hair and do a vinegar rinse.  The vinegar rinse is supposed to dislodge any remaining eggs.  Then Noah gets to go over my hair with a nit comb and then finally with his fingers.  I have washed almost all of our bedding, the comforter will have to go to the laundry mat.  We threw away all our pillows.  I vacuumed and flipped the mattress.  And now I’m trying to figure out whether or not to quarantine any and all clothing I’ve worn in the last three weeks.  Part of me says that’s silly.  But part of me says that I shouldn’t over look anything because I don’t want lice again.  If my homemade treatments don’t work, then I’ll probably go for a prescription treatment.

I feel gross.  Very very gross.

Frankie says Relax

I am so super competitive.  I even compete with myself.  I beat myself up over crap that doesn’t even matter.  *sigh*

Today Noah ran the 1/2 marathon and I ran the 5k.  I knew going into today that I wasn’t going to do best time ever because I was planning on running with someone.  I just wanted to stay around a 10 min/mile pace.  No biggie.  I finished at 10:15 pace and that’s pretty close and not too shabby considering it was raining and uphill most of the run.  But I’m still mad at myself.  I know that I could have done better.  I wish I hadn’t agreed to run with that friend because I ended up dropping her anyway when she stopped to walk.  I could have done better, been faster, and been happier.  Had I run a 9:05 which is a pace I am certainly capable of, I would have placed 15 in my age group out of 216.  As it is I finished 45th.  Which bothers me.  I need to get over this.  I need to just be happy that I ran and that I ran a decent time.  But I’m not.  Grrr.